Special awards for service and meritorious conduct are periodically provided to recipients at the end of each conference.
The Thinkerer Award is presented to an individual whose deeds and actions have shown consistent selfless service towards the promotion of learning, community, and educational practices, and who exemplifies the spirit of cooperative development within immersive environments.
- The award is for lifetime achievement rather than for a single contribution.
- Nominees should have a minimum of 10 years of distinguished service to education and/or a specific community of practice. Nominees need not currently hold a professional position and may be retired.
- Nominee will have made significant contributions to one or more of VWBPE’s primary goals of
- helping build community through extension of learning best practices to practical application of those ideas and techniques;
- providing networking opportunities for educators and the communities that help support education; and/or
- providing access to current innovations, trends, ideas, case studies, and other best practices for educators and the communities that help support education.
- Nominee will have made an active commitment
- to educational excellence;
- to the service of others;
- to advising or mentoring of others in the same community; and
- to the ongoing promotion and development of best practices in their community of practice.
Individuals are ineligible for nomination if they fit any of the criteria below:
- The individual is currently a VWBPE Committee Member;
- The individual has not been engaged with their community of practice for more than 2 years;
- The individual has been a past award recipient; and
- The individual is only identifiable as their avatar personae (i.e. we must be able to identify the person by their current legal name and contact information).
Exemplary Service Award
Awarded to individuals who, in the opinion of the organizing committee, have provided service to the conference and who have performed above and beyond expectations of a community run conference.
Individuals are ineligible for nomination if they are currently a VWBPE Committee Member;
5 Year Service Award
Awarded to individuals who have provided service to the Conference for at least 5 years (not necessarily consecutively) as a volunteer or committee organizer.
10 Year Service Award
Awarded to individuals who have provided service to the Conference for at least 10 years (not necessarily consecutively) as a volunteer or committee organizer.